For most of the country, May is the month when it really starts to get warm — time for patio drinks, picnics and cookouts! From Mother’s Day (May 14th) to Memorial Day (May 29th), there will be no shortage of deals in stores. It’s a great time to finally double-down on that expensive fridge or stock up on in-season fruits.
Keep an eye out for:
- Just in time for Mother’s Day and Memorial Day cookouts, supermarkets are advertising sales on everything you need, including BBQ sauce, charcoal, salad dressing, ground beef (did you know it’s National Hamburger month?), and paper plates. Watch for a second wave of sales during the Fourth of July weekend.
- Keep an eye out for Mother’s Day deals on kitchen gadgets and cookware too! They make excellent gifts for your loved ones, and it’s the perfect time to refresh your own kitchen collection for less.
- Stores are gearing up the spring/summer fitness season with discounts on last season’s inventory.
Strawberries and Cherries
- It might seem early, but the peak U.S. growing season starts in mid-April so you should see lots of sweet and cheap domestic strawberries in May, which is National Strawberry Month. Cherries are in season through June and prices will be low. If you see a good deal on either, stock up! They’re great fruits to freeze as well for your summer smoothies or baking recipes.
Chips and Salsa
- It’s Cinco de Mayo this month — grocery stores will be advertising sales on chips, salsa, and other Mexican foods.
- Unlike most major appliances, which get marked down in the fall, fridges go on sale in May when new models roll out so retailers are clearing out old inventory. Look for blowout sales during Memorial Day weekend.